Gypsy 0.8 Released
As acting release engineer of the Gypsy project (a GPS mux, if you didn't know) I'm proud to announce the release of Gypsy 0.8. So, what's new?
- Support the Nokia N810 integrated GPS. If someone can verify that this works for the N900 too, that would be great.
- Ability to dump the parsed NMEA to the console for debugging
- Fixed over-eager old-school Garmin detection
- Support reading NMEA from named pipes and FIFOs
- Support seting the baud rate on ghetto GPS devices that don't default to a baud rate that actually works (Globalsat ND-100 and BlueNext BN-903S, I'm looking at you)
- Support NMEA < 2.3
Many thanks to Jussi Kukkonen for patch review, and Bastien Nocera for patch review and new features.
The big question of course is what of the future? So far we've got some rough ideas. An overhaul of the device interaction layer is definitely required as actaully getting NMEA is becoming more complex: for integrated 3G/GPS chips you need to talk to oFono/ModemManager to get a socket, for some embedded GPS devices you need a proprietary binary that writes to a pipe, and so on. There are some new features we're considering too: server-side proximity detection and update rate limiting.