It's been a good few days for gadgets. On Monday morning I made my first Internet connection on my laptop via GPRS on my T68i (over Bluetooth) — which was surprisingly easy once I'd figured out rfcomm and the relevant PPP lines. Some day soon I'll document exactly what I did for others.
Today my new minidisc player turned up, a Sony MZ-N710 (my old one is so dirty it only works when it is upright). Ten minutes of poking at hotplug scripts and a quick patch of libnetmd, and the relevant device node has its permissions changed and I was finally adding titles to one of my disks. This is probably all I'll use the NetMD stuff for: I don't have large quantities of music on my computer to copy anyway and the libnetmd people are still decoding the DRM used by Sony. My hifi has optical out, so I already get perfect copies (well, before ATRAC kicks in at least) with track markers.
I'm now thinking about writing a small Rhythmbox patch so that I can title my discs there, but I fear the Wrath Of Colin Walters if I do that before I finish the CD writing patch...
NP: Brand New Second Hand, Roots Manuva